SMHS PTSA BUDGET/FINANCES
The South Mecklenburg High School (SMHS) PTSA is a member of the NC PTA (founded in 1919) and abides by their governance and by-laws. The NC PTA is a member of the National PTA organization.
Through their decades of experience with a volunteer-driven school organizations, the NC PTA requires us to implement effective financial checks and balances to protect your investment, including:
- The SMHS PTSA does not have credit cards or debit cards.
- All checks must have two signatures and a Check Request Form with supporting invoice/receipts.
- The budget is approved at the first General Meeting each school year, and any significant changes in the budget are made through a special vote during the school year. A quorum of general members must be in attendance for a budget vote.
- The President, Treasurer, Assistant Treasurer, Audit Committee, and a CPA (not a member of the SMHS PTSA) are all separate and unrelated individuals.
- The Audit Committee and an external CPA audits our financial records each year. The CPA audit then is turned into the NC PTA in order to maintain a good standing status.
- We must also maintain an insurance policy, including fraud insurance to remain in good standing.
The SMHS PTSA maintains transparency with our finances in monthly Board meetings and at least three times annually General Meetings, and they can also be reviewed upon request. We care about using your investments for the good of SMHS and its staff and students.
Our latest budget (from the General Meeting on 5/18/2021) can be found here: